It’s funny how you never know what chord a posting will have with readers. Last week, I shared my Portabella Lasagna recipe and it has quickly become my highest viewed posting since I started blogging last year.
In that recipe, a classic lasagna was my inspiration — and yet again for today’s posting, lasagna is where it all starts — this time, for breakfast.
I’m sure just like you, weekend mornings are a little less stressful than the busy workweek. I have a little more time to putter around in the kitchen and whip something up rather than the same old stand-by of a quick fried egg or oatmeal. I’m not a cereal person for breakfast — there’s something about milk in the morning that doesn’t sit well with me, so cereal is often a dessert treat after dinner.
I stumbled down the stairs on a recent Sunday morning and after staring into the fridge, saw that I still had some ricotta cheese and Italian cheese blend leftover from my Portabella Lasagna creation from earlier in the week. I had used up all my portabella mushrooms, but I still had regular mushrooms sitting in the crisper. Along with some eggs and leftover prosciutto slices, it was time to create something different for breakfast.
Italian Breakfast Cake
- 6 Eggs
- 2 cups Sliced Mushrooms
- 1 cup Ricotta
- 1 cup Italian Cheese Blend – Shredded
- 3 slices Prosciutto
- Fresh Chives – coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Combine all ingredients into a large mixed bowl – mix well
- Spray an 8″ cake pan with non-stick spray
- Pour the mixture into the baking pan and cook uncovered for approximately 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center